Re: CRIME Checkpoint versus Sonicwall

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 09:36:42 PDT

  • Next message: Kuo, Jimmy: "RE: CRIME Follow-up to my idea for helping law enforcement respon d more eff ectively to life-threatening disappearances and abductions"

    Nicholas Murphy wrote:

    >I have not wanted to jump on this bandwagon, but here are my 2 cents.
    >Lets say I am a small company with 10 to 150 employees and I know that the
    >internet is a "dangerous" place and I have valuable data on my internal
    >systems.
    >Since my company has a very small IT budget (or no budget) because the
    >powers that be do not want to spend money on technology.  Are most of you
    >saying that this small company should just go without any IDS or firewall
    >because they do not have the money for it?

    I am saying, specifically, that organizations with small IT budgets
    should go with a firewall, and without IDS. Firewalls are very
    cost-effective, and everyone should have one. "Personal firewalls" are
    also very cost effective. Network IDS are NOT cost-effective: they
    either cost a lot (if you do the monitoring) or they are not effective
    (if you mostly ignore them and only monitor occasionally).

    >  Or you would all of you agree
    >that something is better than nothing?  Then what is the problem with
    >Anitians solution.

    I'm not sure, as I don't understand the Anitian solution:

        * If it is occasional log inspection (as Wil Cooley described his
          service) then that's just dandy; it is cost-effective.
        * If it includes a NIDS, which is only monitored occasionally, then
          the NIDS is a waste of money, and should be dumped.

    I'm not complaining about Anitian specifically, or saying that
    occasional monitoring is a waste. I'm just saying that NIDS without
    constant monitoring is a waste, and that NIDS in general is a game for
    organizations with large IT/security budgets.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/