Re: CRIME Vulnerabilities

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 13:56:26 PDT

    On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 11:25:47AM -0700, J. Michael Cuciti wrote:
    > In the past two months, Microsoft has come out with a number of security
    > vulernability patches to fix a number of "critical" applications such
    > as certificates (spoof or delete). My question, for all of you that
    > know better than I, is how "critical" are these patches to apply and
    > what will happen if we don't?

    It depends what your users use SSL for. If you can live with the
    little SSL-lock being completely meaningless, then you don't need to
    be concerned. However, if you rely on SSL to _authenticate_ connections
    for your users, you should probably install the patches when you have
    the time for it.

    I'm not sure where it should fit on your priority scale, but I would
    hazard a guess that it belongs after you've figured out a push/pull
    update mechanism for your clients. Handling 1500 machines without one
    doesn't sound like my idea of fun.

    --
    http://immunix.org/