CRIME What security topics interest you?

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 09:07:56 PST

    Hey folks,

    We're putting together some seminars for this year and I am curious what
    technologies and trends are most interesting to the security world.
    We're toying with a bunch of different topics. I'd like to run a few
    topics by everybody and get some feedback.

    1. Intrusion prevention technologies: hybrid IDS/firewall technologies.

    2. Realistic Risk Assessment: How to honestly gauge the value of your
    information assets.

    3. Documenting Security: writing documentation and reports to encourage
    and sell security.

    4. Strategies for Intrusion Detection Tuning: how to optimize IDSs
    systems effectively to reduce noise without missing serious events.

    5. Windows Group Policies & Security. Discussion of some of the features
    of Windows Active Directory group policies and their security
    implications.

    6. Firewalls are not enough. Describes why firewalls are only one
    component in a security infrastructure.

    Keep in mind, these are hour or two hour sessions, not full classes. The
    goal is to encourage, educate, without seeming too salesy. I mean, yeah
    sure, I want people to buy security products and services from Anitian.
    But if you're like me, I hate going to seminars put on by security firms
    and getting a 3 hour sales pitch on why they are the best company in the
    universe because they have pretty graphs and a "world class" executive
    team. I figure if I am going to spend 3 hours somewhere, I want to learn
    something.

    So what would interest you, and why? Feel free to suggest ideas as well.

    Thanks for your feedback.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation