RE: CRIME Windows processes

From: Faith Baynes (faith@private)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 10:46:04 PDT

    Yeah, I understand that a reboot is likely required to overwrite key system files. And that it probably requires Administrator access. Yup. My question was based on after all the above likely happens to the hapless user/administrator. (I know no-one out there logs in as admin equivalent for day to day use, right?)

    I've seen lately servers behind hardware firewalls (decently locked down) with NAV up to date and still don't KNOW that they haven't been somehow affected. Apart from the whole IDS/IPS discussion, I was looking for a more basic way to verify what was actually running on the server.

    Again, thanks for the input and I'll check out Tripwire...

    -Faith

    >>> "Andrew Plato" <aplato@private> 7/28/2003 10:17:51 AM >>>
    Yes, you are correct. Windows will essentially run anything as long as it is
    in the right place. However, it is not easy to replace such key files.
    Windows won't just allow you to copy over key OS files while the system is
    running. They are locked. Usually a reboot is necessary and a variety of
    file maneuvering is necessary. Usually this must be part of some worm
    (automated to do such things) or a savvy hacker who can stage files and the
    shell into the machine.

    Therefore, the key is to stop such intrusions before they happen. Anti-virus
    and host-based IDS/IPS is also a good idea. Even a cheap "personal firewall"
    is better than nothing. Another way to control such things is to use a file
    integrity monitor. That way when explorer.exe changes, you get an alert. If
    its part of a patch, then you can be reasonably certain its okay. If
    suddenly explorer.exe changes at 4:15 on a Monday afternoon, for no reason,
    then you have cause for alarm.

    Tripwire is a good file monitor. Others out there exist. You can even use
    BlackICE ($29.95 at Frys) to do this. See my paper at:
    http://www.anitian.com/Corp/papers/BI%20AC%20tweaking.pdf

    Another thing you might consider is doing periodic spyware checks on the
    machine. I prefer Spybot Search and Destroy (just type Spybot into Google,
    you'll find it). Its freeware and its very good. It even has a very handy
    "immunize" feature that can prevent 400+ trojans from ever getting on to
    your system.

    I am not aware of a single resource that lists all the possible
    perturbations of key Windows files. Microsoft might have something like
    that, but I've never seen it.

    ___________________________________
    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant