Bit Level Forensics Examinations - Fact or Fiction

From: Brown, Matthew (Matthew.Brownat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 19:57:36 PDT

    Folks

            I have a large client that insists that there is yet another
    deeper level of examination that I am not performing.  The individual at
    the client is impressively technical, but I believe has fallen for an
    urban myth that I've seen show its face for more than a decade.  After
    discovery of evidence at the logical file level and then again with a
    sector editor with search features I also peek into slack space and
    several other pockets where data may still be found.  Here is what I've
    heard in the past and what I have also heard reiterated by my client:

            It might be possible to examine recently overwritten data at the
    bit level.  This would involve removing the platters from the hard drive
    case in a level-10 clean room and remounting them on a highly expensive,
    highly sensitive electromagnetic field reader.  This reader would have to
    have the ability to pin-point and measure each bit recorded on a platter
    (not a small task) and record it's electromagnetic readings for each bit
    in a separate storage area.  By evaluating the readings of the bits you
    could then determine which bits had been recently changed.  The idea would
    then to determine which bits needed to be toggled back to their other
    state.  In theory, or so I've been told, this would render the data as it
    was before it was overwritten.

            Two things:

    1.  I was unable to find any commercial services that advertise or perform
    this procedure.  I did find references to several technologies that would
    lend themselves to being able to read or evaluate the values of a bit, but
    none were specifically designed to perform this procedure.  I was in the
    Air Force in the early 1980s when I first heard about this, but was
    surprised to little information on this theory (at least the usenix had
    some papers on the subject, theory that is).

    2.  Even if it were possible, I'd like to see counsel explaining to a
    judge how their experts changed the bits to render their evidence.  Aside
    from the legal issue, I can see three states of a single bit that is
    subject to this type of procedures.  The first state would be that of the
    original data, let's say it's a zero (0).  The second state would be that
    of the changed bit, that would be a one (1).  The third state would be the
    recovered bit, which would be a zero (0) once again.  This might be fine
    as long as there was a difference between state 1 and state 2.  What if
    the bit was originally a 1 and then during the overwrite it was written
    again as a 1.  The procedure would overwrite a valid 1 with a false 0 and
    probably render the data useless.  The technology doesn't not check the
    state of a bit when it overwrites it, it just overwrites on demand.

            I hope someone else has heard of this theory/procedure and can
    shed some more light on the matter.  Other feedback is welcome.

    Matthew Brown, CISSP
    California