Re: Bit Level Forensics Examinations - Fact or Fiction

From: Ferrell, Robert (rferrellat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 21:14:20 PDT

    At 07:57 PM 4/28/01 -0700, Brown, Matthew wrote:

    >         It might be possible to examine recently overwritten data at the
    > bit level.  This would involve removing the platters from the hard drive
    > case in a level-10 clean room and remounting them on a highly expensive,
    > highly sensitive electromagnetic field reader.  This reader would have to
    > have the ability to pin-point and measure each bit recorded on a platter
    > (not a small task) and record it's electromagnetic readings for each bit
    > in a separate storage area.  By evaluating the readings of the bits you
    > could then determine which bits had been recently changed.  The idea
    > would then to determine which bits needed to be toggled back to their
    > other state.  In theory, or so I've been told, this would render the data
    > as it was before it was overwritten.

    I don't have any firsthand knowledge of a technique for reconstituting
    overwritten data by examining the electromagnetic signatures per se, but
    there is a technique called Scanning Tunnel Electron Microscopy that allows
    a skilled investigator to look at the physical traces left by old
    data.  Basically, subsequent tracks do not perfectly overwrite one
    another--each new pass creates a slightly deeper 'ditch' as it interacts
    with the physical media of the platter.  The pattern left by previous
    writes can often be seen on the 'side walls' of the new track using the STM.

    This is quite sophisticated technology, I must warn you, and both the price
    and the
    learning curve should you decide to take it on yourself would be
    steep.  However, I'm sure there are private firms and university labs which
    will perform the analyses for you on a contract basis.

    Cheers,

    RGF

    Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
    Information Systems Security Officer