Re: Where is the data written?

From: Gary Flynn (flynngnat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 14:12:22 PDT

    Randy Zagar wrote:

    > >The reason for this is because there are more
    > >sectors on the outer track, so reads will be faster at the outer track
    >
    > I don't believe this statement is correct.  The number of sectors per
    > track/cylinder is, I believe, a constant.

    Unless things have changed drastically, I agree with you here.

    > The interleave is basically an indication of how much the disk is going
    > to rotate while the head is moving from one track to

    But not here. :) Interleave is sector to sector, not track to track.

    The interleave is sector to sector. Instead of writing sequential
    sectors, they skip some. So instead of writing sectors 1-2-3-4-5
    in order on a 5 sector track, they may write 1-3-5-2-4. Many years
    ago it had to do with limitations in buffer handling and being able
    to keep up with the rotational speed of the drive and optimizing
    overall transfer rates.

    --
    Gary Flynn
    Security Engineer - Technical Services