Re: Where is the data written?

From: Anders Thulin (Anders.X.Thulinat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 23:22:28 PDT

    Randy Zagar wrote:

    > I don't believe this statement is correct.  The number of sectors per
    > track/cylinder is, I believe, a constant.

      That constant is in a particular context, and that context has to be
    mentioned.

      In the context of a file system, it is most likely true. Regularity
    in mapping block numbers on cylinders/tracks/sectors makes the file
    system faster.

      But in the context of what a disk controller is capable of doing
    with the formatting on a disk, I do not think it is necessarily true.

      Floppy disk controllers are certainly capable of formatting each
    cylinder with as many or few sectors as are required. Indeed, that was one of
    the several ways floppy copy protection used to work: by adding an extra
    sector to an outer track, whith the knowledge that it wouldn't be
    discovered by ordinary disk copiers, and the expectation that it wouldn't be
    discovered by anyone with a sector editor. The Mac formatting has already been
    presented -- it is an example of varying number of sectors per track.

      It's a long time since I worked with hard disk controllers, and those
    were then clearly not the kind in use today. But I would be surprised if
    it wasn't still possible to format tracks with 'any' numbers of sectors
    that the media was capable of recording. A quick look through the
    programming manual for the chip in question should settle the question for
    that particular chip.

    --
    Anders Thulin     Anders.X.Thulinat_private     040-661 50 63
    Telia ProSoft AB, Carlsgatan 6, SE-201 20 Malmö, Sweden

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com