Re: information

From: H Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 05:07:19 PST

    Mailer: SecurityFocus

    Daniel,

    First let me say, great links!  Very informative.
     After reading so many posts that refer to just
    tools (ie, Linux 'dd' vs. some other tool, etc),
    it's refreshing to see links that point to some of
    the really important aspects of forensics
    investigations...methodology and documentation.

    >I believe it has elements of both a science and a
    discipline

    I don't want to get into a quasi-religious flame
    war over semantics here, but I think that
    forensics is a bit of both science and discipline.
     It's part science, as Daniel pointed out, b/c of
    the requirements and methodologies used.  It's
    also part discipline, again as Daniel pointed out,
    due to a need for research in the community...not
    only to expand the community's knowledge, but also
    to expand the individual's knowledge.  Self-study
    and research are required of the individual, as well.

    Computer forensics has been seen (at least up
    until recently) as something of a 'black art', not
    unlike, say, penetration testing.  However, any
    sufficiently advanced technology would appear as
    'magic' to the uninitiated...refer to the '91 AF
    OSI case in which a 5 1/4 in. floppy was cut into
    24 (23??) pieces with pinking shears, and yet the
    necessary evidence was recovered.  At it's core,
    computer forensics is much like any other science,
    in that it requires knowledge and study, as well
    as detailed documentation of processes,
    methodologies, and evidence.  Further, the
    methodologies are very important, particularly in
    court cases...the steps used must be reproduceable.

    >>3.Are there laws governing electronic evidence
    in US, and other countries

    >Well yes.  If you make a nice table can i get a
    copy : )

    Most definitely!  With many companies having a
    global presence these days, such a resource would
    provide for easy reference.

    Carv