Re: Suggestions for research

From: Samuel R. Baskinger (samuelat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 20:05:21 PST

    I recently heard a talk given on Peer to Peer networks and there are a few
    issues that I haven't seen addressed in any of the literature.  I should
    note that I only really encounter security and privacy related stuff, but
    I think this ducktails with forensics as well.

    The first issue is a decent security system for a Peer to Peer network
    that cleanly adds and removes trust groups and members of those trust
    groups.  How do you authenticate over a distributed environment? Once you
    are authenticating, whos authentication will you trust, and to what level?

    Now comes the forensics part: :-)
    Peer to peer is kinda scary because of the flat playing feild and the
    naturally distributed nature of it.  There is no one point of entry, but
    there is also no one point of failure.  It's a classic tradeoff.  The
    bigger questions is, assume you can distribute authentication in a secure
    manner, and in such a way that you don't cripple a processor or a network
    like with traffic.  What is logging in this envrionment going to be like?
    How do you collect information about an inherintly amorpheous object and
    still avoid a "server-client" model?  How do you log discretely but
    effectivly?  Can you log a node, but protect the identity of that node?

    I'm sure there is some work in this already, but I haven't seen any very
    clean elegant solutions.  I saw one for hiding user identity, but it used
    an "ecryption-wrapper" approach which just didn't scale.

    On a completely unrelated topic, it might be nice to have distributed
    monitors to locate and stop DDoS attacks and note their source.  This is
    an internet wide topic, but who knows, such things end up in the IERF
    before you know it. :-)

    Just a few ideas on what I think might be nice to capture in terms of
    information.  You can imagine all the privacy issues that this might
    raise.  Just look at Carnivour.  Hope this helps!

    Sam