RE: Encase and data recovery

From: Lee, Robert T. (ROBERT.T.LEE-2at_private)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 20:13:39 PST

    Oops.. Matt you are right I should have included a set of assumptions.

    There are several ways to sterilize your data to perform such operations.
    As I you and others that work in forensic *labs* are fully aware, The most
    efficient is to always works from an image that is mounted in read-only
    mode.  Goes back to your need for a Encase Image conversion tool back into a
    raw image... ->Excellent<- idea. (Any Guidance Folks who read this list
    PLEASE speak up and give us your thoughts on this.)

    Ah yes... the big question how to do that with Windows since Microsoft
    doesn't have the equivalent to a loopback mount (none that Im aware of
    though I hope to be shown that Im wrong.)  Am I incorrect?

    The assumption HERE is that we have a "RAW NTFS image" obtained using dd.exe
    (Unix Port) from the filesystem.

    1.  Either use a physical blocker on the drive if you have one.
    2.  Mount using loopback in Linux'O'Choice in Read-Only mode.  NTFS is R-O
    by default.  Then share the drive out over the network using Samba Server
    and mount on examining system using file shares and map it as a new drive.
    Voila! Read-Only, Sterile, NTFS solution for raw images (works with FAT
    filesystem too, but make SURE you mount using the read-only option.)
    3.  Age old DCFL technique using boot software to mount image, though I have
    never tested this using NTFS just FAT.  Possible?
    4.  Encase... and other costly software.
    5.  You can "mount" raw images using software called Restorer2000.

    Well, I hope there are some other ways.  I love new ideas and methods!

    The question is how to you examine a NTFS filesystem in a sterile state?

    Any other methods in use?

    Rob