Re: Suggestions for research

From: Yuri Demchenko (demchat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 05:23:39 PST

    Hi,

    You are looking for PhD in CS, yeah?

    There is one good topic: to define data format for Evidence collection
    capable for court admission. You can touch legal issues as little as you
    want but still deal with really CS related issues.

    And one more benefits, you can do useful thing for ongoing development
    of the IODEF (Incident Object Description and Exchange Format)

    http://www.terena.nl/task-forces/tf-csirt/iodef/
    http://www.terena.nl/tech/inch/

    This week meeting at IETF53 - http://www.ietf.org/ietf/02mar/inch.txt

    There are also plenty of research and technical work here. Few
    implementations have been started.

    You can also retrospectively look at forensics and Intrusion Detection
    issues in the work of former IDWG -
    http://www.silicondefense.com/idwg/index.htm

    And finally, if you need some more detailed consultation, contact me
    off-list. I had in my former occupations few PhD students in CS.

    Regards,

    Yuri Demchenko

    Albert Lederer wrote:

    > Well, some ideas spring to my mind...
    >
    > You can go with the obvious "Computer Forensics and Electronic Evidence
    > Gathering and their social impact," dealing with how keyloggers, etc.,
    > need to be identified as a sort of wiretap device and therefore well
    > regulated if law enforcement is to use them.  You can use 2600.com for a
    > plethora of legal stuff on this matter.  As well, take a look at the
    > good reading section at www.insecure.org and you'll find a decent enough
    > collection of material.
    >
    > You can also discuss how digital signatures may be forged and how to
    > detect electronic forgery.  This would also tie in with detecting
    > 'man-in-the-middle' attacks.
    >
    > You may also find ideas at the Department Of Defense Computer Forensics
    > Lab, which is locate at http://www.dcfl.gov/  They have a quarterly
    > bulletin which might be worth checking out.  As it stands, you might
    > want to talk to a few law enforcement types.  I don't know how much help
    > they'll be but it's probably worth a try.
    >
    > I hope this helps,
    >
    > Albert Lederer
    >
    > mstevenson wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I know that most of you are practitioners in this field (as I am), but I decided to give it a shot anyway.
    > >
    > >I'm starting a Ph.D. in CS and I want to research on computer forensics. However, my advisor knows very little about forensics, and I'm having a difficult time trying to find a suitable research topic.
    > >
    > >Does anybody here have a suggestion? Perhaps some crazy idea you had but you thought, "Oh, only in grad school I'd have the time to try it"?
    > >
    > >Thanks for your input,
    > >
    > >--
    > >Matthew K Stevenson
    > >mstevensonat_private

    > >This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service.
    > >For more information on this free incident handling, management
    > >and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com

    Yuri Demchenko, TERENA, Singel 468D, 1017 AW Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Tel: +31 20 530 4488  Fax: +31 20 530 4499  E-mail: demchenkoat_private