RE: Encase and data recovery

From: Matt Pepe (mtpepe@code-monks.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 06:43:23 PST

    Absolutely! I agree.  The hardware that is currently on the market will only
    do a direct disk to disk dupe. The most ideal solution would emulate the
    behavior of our software tools and store the image as a file (or a series of
    files) on the destination media. Going on a search or raid and getting a ratio
    of 1:1, that is, one image to one destination media is cost-prohibitive, as
    well as a duplication of effort, as the duplicate must be imaged again for
    storage and analysis (depending on your analysis method of choice).
    Building a device that can do this with built-in physical write protection
    would be a good project, I think.

    -- Matt

    Quoting "Michael D. Barwise, BSc, IEng, MIIE, MBCS"