RE: Encase and data recovery

From: Michael D. Barwise, BSc, IEng, MIIE, MBCS (mikeat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 03:29:20 PST

    On 21st March 2002 Paul Sanderson wrote
    Whilst it should be reasonably straight forward to write a
    firmware imager for IDE disk I think that SCSI disks will
    be another kettle of fish. SCSI drives are normally accessed through
    the ASPI interface under DOS and ASPI/SPTI under Windows.

    if memory serves me each card is basically different
    so you either need to specify a particular controller card
    in the PC or write for all of them...

    Yes Paul, it's a perfectly reasonable point that we *normally* use
    ASPI on a Wintel platform, mainly becuse it alleviates the
    resonsibility for the low-level stuff in a commercial applications
    development environment. However, in our situation, this is not
    really an issue. I'm suggesting we work at the lowest possible level,
    maybe using one of the many compact industrial *PC functionality*
    board sets. Even then, you might not have to consider interfacing the
    computer side of the SCSI yourself- you could be supplied with
    appropriate drivers.

    And even if you use a PC, different SCSI cards are different on this
    interface, I grant you, but (unless I am seriously out of date) the
    SCSI bus side interface and command set have to be universal
    otherwise you could not plug any drive into any card.

    I think the confusion comes from still thinking in terms of a desktop
    PC+Win something. And BTW, we have a perfectly viable ASPI system
    under Linux, which is open source so you could use this as a model if
    you wanted to go that route. However, I think the simpler the better.

    And I have to take issue with "most jurors" being PC literate. Many
    PC support people aren't PC literate in the sense I am talking about.
    I know, because I spend some time teaching them. The key to a
    convincing exposition in court is that it is *simple* so people
    *think* they understand. Winning is about confidence, not absolute
    truth. Hence "beyond reasonable doubt", which is in objective terms
    about as well defined as the "sure and certain hope" of the burial
    service!

    Michael D. Barwise, BSc, IEng, MIIE, MBCS
    Computer Security Awareness
    tel +44 (0)1442 266534
    http://www.ComputerSecurityAwareness.com

    Addressing the Human Equation in Information Security