Re: blowfish cryptographic hash function

From: InfoEmergencias - Luis Gómez (lgomezat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 05:19:38 PDT

    El jue, 15-08-2002 a las 00:24, James Davis escribió:
    > I'd be interested in what people think of my work so far, it compiles
    > without problem as far as I know under Cygwin, Linux and OpenBSD. It's
    > available at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~spet1067/bfsum/ and is far from
    > polished at the moment. It's slow (although I have improved this),
    > lacks the -c option of md5sum, ignores the binary/text options and the
    > code is quite messy. For those who try it, I apologise for filename that
    > results from compilation but I've been using the same Makefile in windows.

    Yep, compiles and works fine on Adelita, Debian Testing with gcc 2.95.4.

    As for time-consuming matters, bfsumming a 120-meg file took more than
    10 minutes (I stopped the process) in an AthlonXP/1700+ (rather big
    machine, some 700-meg DDR RAM and not too much sys load). Let's try with
    something smaller...

    47 KB text file:
    real    0m2.569s
    user    0m0.910s
    sys     0m0.020s

    1 MB of random stuff (dd if=/dev/urandom of=shit bs=1M count=1):
    real    0m56.729s
    user    0m20.680s
    sys     0m0.400s

    Now let's try optimization of the executable: we'll put this in the
    CFLAGS var of the Makefile:
    CFLAGS=-O3 -funroll-all-loops -march=i586

    Oops, I failed!! It was slower:
    real    1m19.000s
    user    0m27.920s
    sys     0m0.660s

    Now try gcc 3.0.4 with -funroll-all-loops and -march=athlon:
    real    0m48.296s
    user    0m16.910s
    sys     0m0.290s

    Little better. But I expected even better results. Try
    -funroll-all-loops in any PentiumIV, it should boost performance up (for
    a past experience similar to this, I concluded that this flag improved
    performance in Intel processors much more than it did in AMD's).

    Well, hope this info is useful. Regards!

    	Pope

    > James
    >
    > --
    > James Davis           \        james.davis@st-peters.ox.ac.uk