Re: More info on dd?

From: Stephen Samuel (samuelat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 15:41:29 PDT

    Bad blocks:
       Many (most?) modern disks have the ability to auto-map bad blocks
       I know that this works for SCSI disks, I presume that IDE disks
       are capable of doing the same. Bad blocks are also (as far as I can
       tell) relatively rare, these days.

       In any case, if the source machine recognizes a bad block as such,
       but lets some (dummy?) data through on the copy (rather than returning
       a fatal error), this shouldn't be a big problem -- since this is what
       the source machine would see on trying to read that block, and that
       is what you would like to then see on the clone.

    Sparse data:
       Just because blocks aren't allocated on a filesystem doesn't mean that
       there's no forensic data in them.  Reasons for this can range from the
       benign (legitimately deleted files that are now of interest) through to
       forensically critical (hackers used 'dead' file space to hide data/programs).

       A hacker who knows a target FS/OS well enough to predict which blocks in
       a partition  are unlikely to be allocated in the near future, could easily
       use that information to build a 'shadow' file system in such dead space.

    Using tar:

       Using tar to copy a file system doesn't produce very good results from
       a forensic point of view. a lot of potentially useful information is lost
       (I don't believe that tar saves ctime information, for example).

       As opposed to tar(1), dump(8 or 1) professes to work with some knowledge
       of the internals of the filesystem it is backing up. Doing a level 0
       dump holds out *some* hope of preserving  (possibly useful) filesystem
       data that tar would not -- but dump files would probably not (from what
       little I understand) be accepted as forensic proof in a criminal trial.

    --
    Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuelat_private
    		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/