Re: Program to wipe data from disk free space

From: Philippe Biondi (biondi@cartel-securite.fr)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 08:32:29 PDT

    Hi,

    On 9 Aug 2003 koxenrider@sol-biotech.com wrote:

    > To indulge my paranoia I wrote a little ANSI C program to write random
    > data to a drive.  I wrote it targeted toward Windows, but it should work
    > with minimal editing on any machine with an ANSI C compiler.  It can be
    > found at http://www.sol-biotech.com/code/wipeIt/wipeIt.c and I placed it
    > in the public domain.

    This is believed to be insufficiant.

    Extract of the wipe program man page :
    <<
           Recovery of supposedly erased data from magnetic media  is
           easier  than  what  many  people  would like to believe. A
           technique called Magnetic Force  Microscopy  (MFM)  allows
           any  moderately funded opponent to recover the last two or
           three layers of data  written  to  disk;  wipe  repeadetly
           overwrites  special patterns to the files to be destroyed,
           using the fsync() call and/or the O_SYNC bit to force disk
           access.  In  normal mode, 34 patterns are used (of which 8
           are random). These patterns were recommended in an article
           from  Peter  Gutmann  (pgut001at_private) entitled
           "Secure Deletion of Data  from  Magnetic  and  Solid-State
           Memory". A quick mode allows you to use only 4 passes with
           random patterns, which is of course much less secure.

    --
    Philippe Biondi <biondi@ cartel-securite.fr> Cartel Sécurité
    Security Consultant/R&D                      http://www.cartel-securite.fr