RE: Using dd.exe to make forensic images of NTFS drives

From: Reava, Jeffrey [IT/0200] (jeffrey.reavaat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 20:11:04 PDT

    The problem may be due to windows locking certain files (Master File Table,
    etc.) and dd isn't able to copy them.

    At startup MS writes a signature to the subject drive, so you won't have the
    proof the original drive hasn't changed since you first received it. Why not
    use the linux side of F.I.R.E. for imaging, or pull the drive from the
    subject machine and plug it into your forensic box -- the difference in
    speed can be worth the hassle. A 20 gig drive that took about 6 hrs via "nc
    | .. " took just over 90 minutes using IDE. Better yet, the subject drive is
    never mounted by the OS so an md5sum of the original disk will match an
    md5sum of the image.

    Jeff