Re: Using dd.exe to make forensic images of NTFS drives

From: Jim Zajkowski (jimat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 09:31:32 PDT

    On Saturday, August 9, 2003, at 1:04 PM, Sakaba wrote:

    > I have tried time and time again to make images of my NTFS drives via
    > the
    > dd command in windows.

    Why do that?  I use a FreeBSD "fixit" cd, which has a live FreeBSD
    system on the disc.  Once there, I use dd and pipe it into ssh and send
    it over an ssh pipe to my analysis machine.  Works like a charm.

    I do this:

       # ifconfig xl0 inet some.ip.add.ress netmask net.mask.goes.here
       # route add -net 0 the.gateway.add.ress
       # cd /dev; /dist/dev/MAKEDEV std
       # dd if=/dev/ad0s1 | dd obs=5m | dd obs=5m | gzip -6 | ssh my.machine
    "gzcat > image.dd"

    The three dd's on that line set up a buffer stream that allows the
    reading dd to not have to stop for network traffic so often.  Otherwise
    you get a lot of read... pause... read... pause... and that makes it
    take 2 or 3 times longer.  I'm also gzipping since it's not a local
    wire to my analysis machine.

    --Jim

    --
    Jim Zajkowski                http://www.jimz.net/pgp-pubkey.asc
    System Administrator  8A9E 1DDF 944D 83C3 AEAB  8F74 8697 A823 2113 5C53