Identifying End of Tx in FTP

From: Laris Benkis (lbenkis@bank-banque-canada.ca)
Date: Mon May 25 1998 - 12:13:49 PDT

    We have a system in place where clients drop off files via FTP to a
    wu-ftp server which are then processed automatically by scripts. Files
    have to be processed relatively quickly for the application to work
    properly therefore the convention we have developed is to indicate end
    of transmission by doing a rename of the file once the initial put is done.
    We are trying to tighten the security of the whole process and want to
    use FW1 ftp resources to limit where puts can be done.  Unfortunately it
    turns out that when the ftp resources are used it is no longer possible to
    do rename.

    The question I have then, is anybody doing something similar to this?
    What is a reliable, transparent way to tell that an ftp transmission has
    been completed?

    We have  a fallback solution where the client would send a file then send
    a second delimiter file to indicate that the transmission of the first file is
    complete.  This is not desirable as client procedures would have to be
    changed.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Laris