Re: Identifying End of Tx in FTP

From: Bennett Todd (betat_private)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 03:50:56 PDT

    1998-05-25-19:13:49 Laris Benkis:
    > We have a system in place where clients drop off files via FTP to a
    > wu-ftp server which are then processed automatically by scripts. Files
    > have to be processed relatively quickly for the application to work
    > properly therefore the convention we have developed is to indicate end
    > of transmission by doing a rename of the file once the initial put is done.

    That's an approach I hadn't thought of. Cool!

    > We are trying to tighten the security of the whole process and want to
    > use FW1 ftp resources to limit where puts can be done.  Unfortunately it
    > turns out that when the ftp resources are used it is no longer possible to
    > do rename.

    So you're gonna have to change the client behavior for sure --- unless
    the client code implementation currently ignores the errors the failing
    rename attept produces.

    > What is a reliable, transparent way to tell that an ftp transmission has
    > been completed?

    A question I've pondered before --- having done the same kind o' stuff,
    ftp-ing files into a directory where they were then automatically
    processed.

    > We have a fallback solution where the client would send a file then
    > send a second delimiter file to indicate that the transmission of the
    > first file is complete.

    That's what I ended up doing.

    But I just had another idea hit me --- wu-ftpd has highly-configurable
    logging, it's easy to get it to log every transfer. So do so, and then
    bolt a log-watcher on, and let the appearance of the log message
    describing the completed transfer trigger the spool file processor.

    -Bennett