Paper on why I need a security Assessment

From: Matt McClung (mmcclungat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 13:09:09 PST

    I am looking for a good paper on why a company should perform a security
    assessment.  Not the What is an assessment type of paper, but a WHY - If I
    don't do anything then what?

    Example:  If you don't check the configuration of your web server, you may
    leave a default server setting that allows for a system compromise using a
    well known scripting tool.

    Anyone have a link to something like this?

    Matt