Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalls on an IPX/SPX network

From: Victoria of Borg (vicofborgat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 18:08:48 PDT

    On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 16:32, Brian Bettger wrote:
    > He has, in the past enjoyed a strictly IPX/SPX network knowing that this
    > decreases his risk of exposing his servers. Is there a firewall product
    > out there we can use that allows a VPN connection to utilize IPX/SPX for
    > several and eventually tens of clients to map a drive to the Novell
    > server(s)?

    There is something to the idea of using IPX/SPX only on your LAN.  What
    are they doing for internet-access, if I may ask?  You do mention that
    the users would be using DSL/Cable for access.

    Novell Bordermanager (http://www.novell.com/products/bordermanager/)
    does have a VPN client, and I've seen documentation of past versions
    include specifics of how to configure the VPN client for IPX access.
    They've even received ISCA certification of their firewall product.
    However, the latest version of the product requires Netware 5.1 and
    eDirectory 8.6.2 to work, something your client is a few years away
    from.

    If he isn't afraid of running two NDS trees, it could work. I honestly
    don't know if they still have IPX support in their VPN client, but they
    did once-upon-a-time.