Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalls on an IPX/SPX network

From: Luca Berra (blucaat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 23:09:31 PDT

    On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 02:32:14PM -0700, Brian Bettger wrote:
    >He has, in the past enjoyed a strictly IPX/SPX network knowing that this
    >decreases his risk of exposing his servers. Is there a firewall product
    >out there we can use that allows a VPN connection to utilize IPX/SPX for
    >several and eventually tens of clients to map a drive to the Novell
    >server(s)?

    Dunno about a specific product, but since ipx is running on top of ppp
    it should reasonably possible to make it run over pptp as well.
    I don't know of any firewall that can do packet filtering or content
    inspection on IPX, but maybe you can get some packet filtering with
    cisco IOS (i have not used the ipx feature set for eons).

    Regards,
    L.

    --
    Luca Berra -- blucaat_private