Re: [incidents] Re: Re : Large scale scan of port 2401

From: David Bronder (david-bronderat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 13:37:25 PDT

    Actually, AIX does use port 2401 for an AIX-specific service, writesrv.
    Yes, it is in conflict with the assigned number for cvspserver.  They're
    not the first vendor to do that, and they won't be the last.

    It does require disabling the writesrv service before running a CVS
    pserver on AIX.  (Not that awkward, and not that hard to identify as the
    reason your pserver won't start.  But still an extra step.)

    I agree it probably does make more sense for it to be a search for CVS
    servers than for AIX systems, though.

    =Dave

    --
    Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
    Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa