Re: Code Red - A Possible Origin?

From: Mike Lewinski (mikeat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 13:09:12 PDT

    $ telnet tao.ca www
    GET /~wrench/bloc/news/07_19_01.html HTTP/1.1

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:47:42 GMT
    Server: Apache
    Last-Modified: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 01:52:42 GMT
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    The server appears to be located in the Toronto area which I believe
    is -0400 GMT. If it hasn't been monkeyed with, the Last-Modified tag
    places the document's creation time around 9:50pm local time on the 19th
    of July.

    The original Eeye advisory containing details about the worm's
    "whitehouse attack mode" was released two days earlier, on the 17th of
    July. I'd be a lot more inclined to believe the claim of responsibility
    if Apache was giving a 'last-modified' tag earlier than that date. By
    the posting date it was already public knowledge.

    Mike