Re: Solaris hack

From: Matt K. (mattat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 19:42:03 PST

    They most likely got in via dtspcd or ttdbserver.  Run strings on
    /usr/ucb/ps and see if you see 'sexygurl' near the end.  Also, check the
    dates on files such as /bin/ls.  The rookit doesn't seem to change the
    dates on the files it changes, so they are easy to detect.  The rootkit
    also edits /etc/init.d/network and starts an sshd2 daemon at the end.
    This is one of the ways the rooters get into your machine later on.  If
    you think you have the rootkit I am talking about, email me directly and
    I will get you a list of the files to replace, etc.  You should consider
    disabling most of the stuff in /etc/inetd.conf (once you replace it with
    the original, for it was most likely changed) and patching your system
    to the latest revisions.  The dtspcd thing is pretty hot right now from
    my standpoint as I see many scans daily for it.

    Matt

    On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 08:05:06PM -0800, Jamie Lawrence wrote:

    > I'm helping with a Solaris 8 box that was rooted.
    >
    > The attacker replaced the /usr/bin/mc680*0 binaries,
    > so many of the usual administrative commands are
    > misbehaving. Is this from a rootkit anyone has seen
    > before?
    >
    > This is a production box, and has to stay up for a while
    > yet (the usual bad sort of administrative neglect), so reinstalling
    > from scratch is not an approach I can take this minute.
    >
    > I'm just looking for pointers on what I can expect, so  I can
    > hopefully temporarily plug some holes until the box can
    > be rebuilt.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > -j

    Matt Kassawara
    Unix Computing Support / Security
    Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
    University of Central Florida
    407.823.3018
    mattat_private