Re: backdoor

From: Eric Rostetter (eric.rostetterat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 21:53:24 PDT

    Quoting Mike Lewinski <mikeat_private>:

    > "Hugo van der Kooij" wrote Sunday, June 23, 2002 3:07 AM
    >
    > > However leaving a compromised system online makes you guilty of criminal
    > > neglect. (Aiding and embedding criminals and all that sort of thing.)
    >
    > IANAL, but my understanding is that if you want to prosecute the offender,
    > you shouldn't touch the box again after discovering the compromise (i.e.
    > could be construed as tampering w/ evidence).
    >
    > Just one of many legal catch-22's I've run into on the job.

    You can touch, as long as you document appropriately what you touch and
    have a valid chain/record of custody for everything including your notes.

    There are many sites on the web which try to teach how to do this (document,
    date/sign everything, chain of custody, how to work on copies rather than
    the original, etc).  The problem of course is how exactly to do these things
    changes from area to area, so you should always check with local legal
    folks if possible before, during, and after you touch anything ;)

    --
    Eric Rostetter
    The Department of Physics

    harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage