Re: Strange Folder

From: Neil Dickey (neilat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 09:11:30 PDT

    discipulus <rootman22at_private> wrote asking:

    >The other day I noticed a strange folder had been created
    >on my W2K Pro machine at work.

    [ ... ]

    >Has my account/PC been compromised?

    That would be a strong first working hypothesis.

    Perhaps someone else can tell you exactly what this all means,
    but my approach would be to get hold of some forensics tools
    and check the machine over carefully.  Fport comes to mind
    right away.  It can tell you what's connected to your machine
    and to which port.  You can get started here ...

      http://www.foundstone.com
      http://www.treachery.net

    ... among other places.  Look in their "Tool" bins.

    It's a good idea to have a kit of such tools on a read-only
    CD in advance of an incident like this, so that you have
    tools you know you can trust -- that haven't been trojanned
    -- ready to use.  It's rather like the instructions in a
    snake-bite kit.  You want to be familiar with them *before*
    Mr. Snake has his way with you.

    Another really good idea is a firewall.  ZoneAlarm and Sygate
    have good reputations, but, again, one wants these up and
    running *before* something bad happens.

    I hope you have your data backed up, because I suspect that
    you will may ultimately have to clean your hard drive and
    re-install from scratch.

    Best regards,

    Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
    Research Associate/Sysop