RE:

From: Hay,Daniel (DHayat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 11:51:33 PDT

    We are in the same boat, We have udp/tcp 135-139 and 445 blocked but we still see the spam. We have identified 2 hosts on campus 1 is a Linux box running RedHat 7.3 the other seems to be a Win2k box. I've done a quick check of the Linux box but it doesn't appear to be compromised, one thing I did notice from external scanning is that RPC on the Linux box is not configured correctly and allows forwarding of RPC requests. I've not checked the windows box yet but I was thinking maybe the requests where being forwarded from outside the campus network to hosts inside via these misconfigured RPC installations. Any thoughts? Am I way off base here?

    Cheers
    Danny