Re: anoat_private ftpd dip.t-dialin.net

From: Dave Laird (dlairdat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 08:52:18 PST

    Good morning, everyone...

    On Wednesday 06 November 2002 11:54 pm, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:50:13 -0500, Owen McCusker wrote:

    > >Has anyone else seen this type of activity from dip.t-dialin.net
    > >or dipsters for short. ;-)?
    >
    > Sure, I see it all day.
    >
    > What they're trying to achieve is determine whether you have an "open" FTP
    > server which allows them to store "warez" and download them again.
    >
    > A simple countermeasure against this is to give files that are uploaded to
    > your "incoming" directory permissions so that anonymous users can't access
    > them anymore. You can even prohibit them from reading the directory's
    > contents so that they don't even see which files are stored inside the
    > directory.

    Another possible alternative, at least if you are using Linux running IPTables
    is to move your FTP server *inside* the firewall, to an internal IP of your
    choosing and severely constrain access to it using a well-chosen IPTables
    script. Of course, if you are as road-weary as I am of the games that
    dip.t-dialin.net users have attempted in the past, simply firewall them
    entirely by their IP's. It's crude, it's rude, and perhaps not even good
    policy, but it certain cuts down the volume of spurious traffic of all kinds.
    [Standard Disclaimer] "Of course, I could be *WRONG* about anything I say,
    but then I learned everything I know about networking from a pragmatic
    wizard."

    Dave
    --
    Dave Laird (dlairdat_private)