RE: PDL anti-spam blacklist

From: Brian Taylor (drak3at_private)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 18:11:30 PST

    It seems like I have a pretty good sized stick for this dead horse I am
    about to beat senseless.  BUT, in matters like these, I have always had
    better experiences with larger ISP's who are corporate enough to have a
    (healthy) paranoia for liability and legal matters that all mid to large
    sized companies seem to share.

    Yes, I'll be the first to admit that many Tier 1 ISP's sometimes turn an
    apathetic cheek to matters such as these, but having been a wired country
    boy in rural Michigan and Alabama, I can tell you that the three Mom n' Pop
    ISP's did not seem to have a firm grasp of Best Practices related to being a
    good netizen.  This included abuse complaints originating from their ISPs,
    known spammers from their domain (which ended them on a RBL in the first
    place) and a few other things.  I don't know if it was a matter of staffing,
    apathy or what.  But I'd be willing to bet that a lack of policies and a
    brazen attitude towards possible legal issues are the cause.

    Back to the topic, if something like this blackhole example were to happen
    to hypothetical companies like EarthPink, Qwestion or AT&TTT, the sheer
    worry of lawsuits or losing business would probably be the main motivators
    to take care of something like this.  At least my experiences have been in
    this fashion.

    I'm not dogging Mom n Pop ISP's, nor their administrators (who are generally
    quite skilled).  Like I said, they just don't seem to have a firm grasp on
    Best Practices as they are frequently "the last gas station for 400 miles"
    and operate with a bit of an isolationist mindset.

    Just my .03

    BT

    Brian Taylor
    johnthedwarfat_private
    "Sure you can get HIV from a mosquito -- if you have unprotected sex with
    one!"