Re: Root password changed

From: Adam Bultman (adambat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 12:38:44 PST

    Sounds like someone used a vulnerability in a service you have open and
    got it running.  I don't know if you checked using the more advanced
    tools, but you might want to run the more powerful IDSes and programs that
    will be able to check files/binaries on a deeper level than doing an `ls
    -la' (as rootkits will install binaries that hide proceses, files,
    etc).

    I'd also suggest you check other servers that have other services
    available.  They may have gotten onto another system and compromised that
    server via another service not available to the outside (but of course,
    I know nothing of your internal network).

    My systems run tripwire, chkrootkit, and logsentry which gives me
    info on what is happening on my servers. I prefer verbose logging, rather
    than my predecessor's 'Hear no evil, see no evil' policy of sending
    everything to /dev/null.

    Id start comparing filesizes between that and another similar system to
    see if you have been trojaned or cracked, or if you have been for some
    time.

    Either way, I'd prep another server to replace that one, as I personally
    will not trust a server that has been trojaned or compromised in that
    fashion.

    --
    adambat_private
    [ www.glaven.org ]