RE: Distributed spam-based DoS in progress

From: Dave Hart (davehartat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 11:28:30 PST

    [...]
    > If a message is undeliverable it will be bounced BUT if the
    > bounce message
    > can not be delivered it will be discarded immediatly to
    > prevent double
    > bounce loops.
    >
    > See also RFC 2821 section 4.5.5

    Would you care to cite where it's said that NDRs and other MAIL FROM:<>
    messages must be discarded immediately if the first delivery attempt
    fails?  The various mailers I have used continue to retry transmission
    until configured timeouts, as with any other outbound message.  When the
    mail is an NDR being sent to a bogus domain (such as in response to spam
    with a forged sender email), it does clog up the queue for that timeout
    period.

    Regards,
    Dave Hart