RE: Distributed spam-based DoS in progress

From: Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooijat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 22:49:55 PST

    On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Dave Hart wrote:

> [...]

    From 4.5.5.:

       Implementors of automated email processors should be careful to make
       sure that the various kinds of messages with null reverse-path are
       handled correctly, in particular such systems SHOULD NOT reply to
       messages with null reverse-path.

    But the problem arises before that. If your server is set to accept
    message for non existing accounts you have a server that can be easily
    brought down.

    If you do not accept these messages you do not have to send bounce
    messages. It will the task of the system that tried to hand them to you.

    If you find yourself with a server with lots of waiting bounces your are
    likely (ab)used as relay and you have other fish to fry.

    And from 6.1:

       When the receiver-SMTP accepts a piece of mail (by sending a "250 OK"
       message in response to DATA), it is accepting responsibility for
       delivering or relaying the message.  It must take this responsibility
       seriously.  It MUST NOT lose the message for frivolous reasons, such
       as because the host later crashes or because of a predictable
       resource shortage.

    Which seems to indicate you have to make sure your mailserver is up to the
    task.

    Hugo.

        hvdkooijat_private		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
    	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.