Re: Scans from proxyprotector.com

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 12:13:44 PDT

    On Wed, 21 May 2003 16:28:21 EDT, Justin Pryzby said:
    > Or a site that lists hosts that should be blocked?  Like the dynamic
    > email blocking: just cron a daily download and firewall rule update.
    >
    > Anyone up for this?

    There's two problems you always need to overcome with this sort of proposal:

    1) Trusting the people that run the block-list.  There's been no end of
    anti-spam RBL's that have been rogue to some greater or lesser degree,
    and not even a clear definition of what 'rogue' even means.  Go back and
    research the great ORBZ/MAPS feud - wasn't *ANYBODY* in that one that
    was completely and totally blameless..  And yes, I'm saying that even though I
    *do* have great respect for at least some of the people involved - nobody
    makes perfect choices all the time...

    2) Trusting the actual update process.  All sorts of openings for the
    ensuing hilarity as you download a new ruleset that happens to block your
    default router or something. (Hint - why do most big shops *NOT* run
    WindowsUpdate or similar automagic update-on-the-fly?)

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer