Re: Exploit for Windows RPC may be in the wild!

From: tEA-TiME (tEA-TiMEat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 15:33:34 PDT

    There could be another explanation for the flow of traffic to port 135. Many
    programs being released now for using the NET SEND command to advertise,
    come with a built in "scanner" to see if the host is active beore wasting
    the time sending the whole message. Some of these software makers also
    suggest getting a port scanner and just scanning ports 135, 137, 138, 139,
    and 445 to see if a host is running and accepting NET messages.

    I run alot on an earthlink.net dialup, and when I turn my messenger service
    back on to see how many ad's I get, I get at least 5 in the time it takes me
    to go get a coffee.

    There may also be exploits out there looking for somehing on these ports,
    but I gurantee at least 98% of the traffic is from these NET SEND Ad
    programs.

    Hope it helps,

    tEA-TiME

    PS- Throw a sniffer up and check out any requests going to 135. That is what
    most people scan to see if a host is available and running the messenger
    service. You'll see the ad programs info in the packet.