Re: Dig in: autorooter, maybe that IRC one but SAV doesnt pick it up.

From: morning_wood (se_cur_ityat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 17:38:09 PDT

    any smart "wormer" or "trojaneer" will modify the server component by
    editing the source or "hexing" the file, resulting in most common viri /
    trojans to be rendered undetectible. The result is many common viri /
    malware / trojans to continue unabated. ( even subseven can be hexed to
    provide stealth / undetection ) a trojan that should be caught by any virus
    scanners. I have a collection of remote tools and you would be very
    supprised as to how many are not detected after simply editing the server
    component. Not having a AV product detect a known agent is common, as AV
    vendors cannot make provisions for every sleight code change. I took the
    time to write a small article about trojan strings / detection at
    http://areyoufearless.com/files/newsletters/issue1.txt  Possibly some can
    find it usefull in how strings are used in detection / evasion. ( hint:
    most trojan / viri can be rendered undetectable by changing as few as one
    word / string in the server component )

    hope this helps...

    Donnie Werner
    http://exploitlabs.com