Re: A Comment from User Space

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 16:41:32 PDT

    You seem to have some misconceptions about how kernel code works.
    For starters, errno is a purely user-space construction.  In the kernel,
    a syscall returns, e.g., -EPERM to indicate a permission error; then
    user-level libc wrappers change this into errno=EPERM, retval=-1.

    If you want to add a global kernel variable that holds the most recent
    error, and you want to add a getlatesterror() syscall (or /proc entry,
    or ioctl, or whatever the best interface is), feel free to do so in
    your module.  I don't want this in my module.  And, I'm not convinced
    this is even a good idea.  For instance, this is not thread-safe.

    For these reasons, I don't think this proposal is mature enough to
    merit inclusion in the general kernel patch (as opposed to your favorite
    policy module).  And since it doesn't need to be in the general kernel
    patch -- since it can be handled by policy modules -- maybe we should
    leave it out of the general kernel patch.  Agreed?