Re: Kernel Security Extensions USENIX BOF Summary

From: sarnoldat_private
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 13:18:37 PDT

    On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 02:09:30PM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
    > Using inodes at runtime seems preferable to us - you want to protect
    > data contained in an object, not a pathname.

    I'm not sure this is always the case. While it might make great sense
    for user data, there are system configuration files at Well Known
    Locations where the data in the file needs to be protected -- at that
    location.

    Perhaps some examples: /etc/shadow, /etc/hosts, /vmlinu[xz], /etc/lilo.conf
    /etc/hosts.{allow|deny|options}, /etc/ld.so.{conf|cache}, /etc/exports,
    /etc/fstab.

    Each of these files is needed at some point or another to remain
    unchanged *in its current location*.

    Keeping track of only the inode, if I am not mistaken, would allow for
    moving the file to another location and placing another file in the well
    known location. (Of course, the other modules will protect the well
    known files by protecting the directories containing those files;
    however, this model is not SubDomain's model.)

    Seth