Re: Kernel Security Extensions USENIX BOF Summary

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 13:57:08 PDT

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 sarnoldat_private wrote:

    > On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 02:09:30PM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
    > > Using inodes at runtime seems preferable to us - you want to protect
    > > data contained in an object, not a pathname.
    >
    > I'm not sure this is always the case. While it might make great sense
    > for user data, there are system configuration files at Well Known
    > Locations where the data in the file needs to be protected -- at that
    > location.
    >
    > Perhaps some examples: /etc/shadow, /etc/hosts, /vmlinu[xz], /etc/lilo.conf
    > /etc/hosts.{allow|deny|options}, /etc/ld.so.{conf|cache}, /etc/exports,
    > /etc/fstab.
    >
    > Each of these files is needed at some point or another to remain
    > unchanged *in its current location*.
    >
    > Keeping track of only the inode, if I am not mistaken, would allow for
    > moving the file to another location and placing another file in the well
    > known location. (Of course, the other modules will protect the well
    > known files by protecting the directories containing those files;
    > however, this model is not SubDomain's model.)

    Umm, no.  As you point out, you can protect the directories containing
    the files in question.  Furthermore, you can implement per-file controls
    on operations like rename, link, and unlink as well as the directory
    controls.  SELinux does exactly that - you must have appropriate
    permission to the directory and to the particular file.

    But let's not go too far on this debate.  As I've previously stated,
    you can support pathname-based modules without needing to reconstruct
    absolute pathnames on each lookup or file creation operation.  In fact,
    that should be preferable to you from a performance perspective.  So
    the hooks end up being the same anyway.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private