Re: The Demise of Simple Assurance?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 19:20:44 PDT

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:12:20 PDT, Crispin Cowan said:
    > I believe it to be completely infeasible to ever consider moving the kernel
    > security logic into a module.  In-kernel security logic ("DAC" for short :-) is
    > deeply intertwined with lots of other non-security code.  Teasing it apart
    > would be a Herculean task (complete with shoveling loads of crap :-) and is
    > fraught with error.  As a result, the kernel group is highly likely to reject
    > such a proposal.

    Is it something that we should at least get onto people's radar as a possible
    thing for a 2.7 kernel project?  I suspect much of it is intertwined due to
    "just grew" software dynamics.  This leaves 3 questions:

    1) Would it be worth the effort for *somebody* to unsnarl/streamline it?

    2) Should the "somebody" be "us" as part of a 'stage 2' effort?

    3) If both of these are "yes", is there anything we can/should do now to
    facilitate it (or at least not complicate it later)?  Yes, I know there's a
    general distaste for "do it now for later", but good software design principles
    also say you should at least be *thinking* about future expansion needs ;)

    /Valdis