Re: Reasons for Inclusion

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 13:36:59 PST

    On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Kurt Seifried wrote:

    > I don't understand this. is there some reason the patch should _not_ be
    > included? I mean it's not like people have to use it, and in any event most
    > people now run vendor supplied kernels which are nicely buyilt/trimmed/etc
    > anyways.

    I did not mean to imply I saw a reason why the patch would NOT be
    included, but that's not the test... the test, I think, is SHOULD it
    be included?  Does Linux (Linus) accept everything that can't be
    argued against? "Does it advance Linux, overall?  How?"  This, of course,
    is based on Linus' clues.

    There are people of extremely diverse opinions in the LD group, and
    there are people of extremely diverse opinions in the Linux Community at
    large.

    A *reason*, or *argument* for inclusion that shows that LSM needs to be in
    the "stock-kernel tree" rather than staying where it is now... a joint
    project by developers of secure systems, might be useful?

    I'm perfectly willing not to discuss this, if it plays into fears of
    shadows and boojums, but I think, if LSM is going to present in 2-3 or
    even 6 months, it's an emotional issue that should be validated
    intellectually.

    Why Am I Wrong, Why Am I Getting Quick-Non-Intellectual Responses?
    J. Melvin Jones