Re: Module Identifier

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 13:32:44 PDT

    Niki Rahimi wrote:

    >Hi Everyone,
    >      I'm trying to utilize the sys_security hook for my module and am
    >having trouble figuring out what the id value should be evaluated with. I
    >understand it supposed to be the security module identifier, but am not
    >sure how to find that value for my module. Thanks in advance.

    The proper use of the module ID became a touchy issue when that API was
    developed. The conclusion of that discussion is that the LSM code per
    se, and the Linux kernel community, do not want to be responsible for
    managing a global registry of LSM module IDs. However, a cooperating set
    of modules that expect to work together should agree to not collide
    module numbers.

    I propose that lsm.immunix.org start maintaining a registry of known
    module IDs. Absolutely NO policing will be involved. Instead, module
    providers would post their new module name & number to the list, and the
    lsm.immunix.org admin (Chris Wright) would scoop it up and put it on the
    "Modules" page. Collisions are *your problem*: either withdraw your
    number & try again, or dare the other guy to withdraw his/hers.

    While waiting for this fabulous web infrastructure :) to appear, just
    follow Greg's advice and pick one, ensuring that your module and
    user-space tools agree on that number. So long as it is a modestly large
    & random number, it should not be a problem.

    Oh, and I am now opening bids for people who want to bribe me for
    fun/significant numbers like 31337 :)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com/~crispin/