Re: Please confirm your message (fwd)

From: Lindsay Haisley (fmouseat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 11:33:58 PDT

    I'm out of town too, and my bandwidth is thus rather limited, but the
    following log entries for the linuxat_private list may or may not be
    instructive.

    1030036592 + linux-security-moduleat_private "applein" <appleinat_private>
    [snip]
    1030073917 - linux-security-moduleat_private
    [snip]
    1030101780 + linux-security-moduleat_private Claudio <claudio_79at_private>
    [snip]
    1030106487 - linux-security-moduleat_private

    Subsription is unmoderated, but confirmation from the list subscriber is
    required.  My understanding is that confirmation by the subscription
    requestor is _not_ adedquate in cases where the request is made by a 3rd
    party, but I will confirm this and get back with you.

    Is it possible that an improper request was made by a 3rd party and the
    listserver at linux-security-module autoreplied to the subscription
    confirmation request in such a fashion as to cause the subscription to be
    confirmed?

    Gentlemen, no one at FMP initiated this mischief.  I am quite knowledgable,
    and more than willing to work with you to get to the bottom of this and see
    that any holes are plugged, here or elsewhere as it lies in my power to do
    so.  Let's dispense with the talk of "crap" and "dealing with" me and see if
    we can't solve the problem.  If this is going to be an ongoing problem, I
    can certainly configure or patch the list server here so as to refuse 3rd
    party subscription request for this and possibly other lists.  Again,
    though, like Crispin, I'm currenty on the road and both my physical and
    personal bandwidth will be somewhat limited until next Tuesday.

    Thus spake Crispin Cowan on Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:33:51PM CDT

    --
    Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
    FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at