Re: Please confirm your message (fwd)

From: Russell Coker (russellat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 16:12:00 PDT

    On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:33, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
    > Gentlemen, no one at FMP initiated this mischief.  I am quite knowledgable,
    > and more than willing to work with you to get to the bottom of this and see
    > that any holes are plugged, here or elsewhere as it lies in my power to do
    > so.  Let's dispense with the talk of "crap" and "dealing with" me and see
    > if we can't solve the problem.  If this is going to be an ongoing problem,

    If you don't want talk of "dealing with" you then you must get functional
    postmaster and abuse addresses at your domain.

    Having both postmaster and abuse addresses being non-functional is an
    indication to most people of a rogue domain, and gets treated accordingly.

    > I can certainly configure or patch the list server here so as to refuse 3rd
    > party subscription request for this and possibly other lists.  Again,
    > though, like Crispin, I'm currenty on the road and both my physical and
    > personal bandwidth will be somewhat limited until next Tuesday.

    Why not just reject all third-party subscription requests and limit the
    mischief to people who know enough to fake an email From address?

    Russell Coker

    PS  If this message gets an automatic reply with some crap about requiring
    confirmation for a "whitelist" entry, then be sure that I won't do so.  I'd
    rather that my email not be received by people who are so stupid as to
    require white-lists, I'd rather "deal with them"...