[logs] mailers (was Re: [logs] log review policies)

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 14:45:44 PDT

    William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wrote:
    >Sendmail hasn't been a scary beast in many years.

    I remember saying that back in 1989... ;)

    >  Yes, sendmail has a
    >scary history but we just shouldn't talk about that anymore because it
    >is all in the past.

    Don't you really mean "the hackers are not going after sendmail as
    much because there are bigger/easier/fatter/more attractive targets
    around?"  ;)  I suspect that's the case...

    >   The new sendmail is maintained by competent
    >programmers who are trying to provide a first class MTA/MSA.

    I remember saying that in 1989, too. :)

    The finer things in life never change. :)  But sendmail has. I suspect that
    if I took my old sendmail 4 code off of one of my TK-50 tapes, I'd find that
    the new sendmail is probably 40% more code than version 4. I'm sure
    that all that extra code isn't rife with security holes, but if you have a
    simple security problem you need to solve, it's best to use a simple
    tool rather than a rube goldberg device. Not that I'm trying to bash
    sendmail (I promised Eric that I'd stop doing that when I finished my
    first code-review of NCSA Mosaic) but I'm just old-fashioned enough
    that I'd rather run a security critical program that has no features
    and no privileges instead of one that has lots.

    But, hey, it's your call. :)

    mjr.