Re: [logs] Due Diligence for Admission in Court

From: Chris Adams (cadamsat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 15:50:07 PST

    On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 05:52:58PM -0500, borisat_private wrote:

    > SW> I always fancied the idea of logs being written to CDROM
    > SW> in realtime...
    > SW> I dunno if todays CD writer hardware is up to it tho!
    > SW> :)
    >
    > You CAN write a session each night onto a multisession CD-R though -
    > we have a system like that for certain information that is too copious
    > to keep on disk for long, and too important to delete.  I imagine you
    > could make it more frequent, though I don't know how many "sessions"
    > can practically be fit on one disk.

    It might also be interesting to look into the packet-based systems. (Packet-based
    CD-Rs are finally becoming more common) Those are designed to be handled more
    like normal media - e.g. recent Linux kernels are reported to handle UDF on
    DVD-RAM just by mounting the device as a writable filesystem. Presumably we
    could hack the UDF driver to have a mount option which would force all files on
    the specified device to have the append-only attribute set (compressed might
    also make sense and would probably improve write performance).

    Chris