RE: [logs] hack attempts && price

From: dgillettat_private
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 15:11:36 PST

    On 4 Mar 2002, at 10:37, Lubomir.Nistor@star-21.de wrote:

    > that's right, you have to do prevention, but how do you explain a
    > non-educated man what AIDS is? he doesn't even know what a virus
    > is. And telling him that he needs to use condome if it's not
    > convenient for him needs some persuation effords.. why should he
    > waste his money on something he didn't use before? that's the same
    > possition of a IT manager.. he doesn't know what is the price of a
    > hack attack and why should he waste money on something that he
    > didn't do before and he is not convenient with?

      I maintain that the relevant number is comparing the cost of a
    successful attack/penetration/infection against the cost of a
    prevention regimen, rather than dividing the money already spent on
    prevention by the number of known unsuccessful attempts.
      I do not claim that there isn't a cost/benefit argument to be made,
    only that a numerate IT manager who doesn't happen to be tech-savvy
    may find the proposed statistic unconvincing.

    > I've read a good book called selfish gene.. it explains the theory
    > about evolution.. where bad decisions or strategies lead to death
    > of that specific nature of genes or habits. SO if companies go
    > bankrupt due to hack attacks and IT managers who caused this
    > wouldn't get a job as IT manager (that's bad assumption), only
    > good IT managers would survive and be allowed reproduce (i mean
    > the knowhow :) to guarantee supply of good IT managers in future
    > :)
    >
    > lubo

      When an infectious agent is acutely fatal, that may slow its own
    spread -- but it also limits the opportunity for a species to evolve
    an immune response.  (The AIDS metaphor is tragically appropriate,
    too, since it is much easier to develop a signature-based vaccine for
    an agent that has already been seen than to predict how it will next
    mutate....)

    DG