[logs] why log transport is still important

From: Tom Perrine (tepat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 22:29:39 PST

    IN an earlier message, I mentioned that I've been keeping logs for a
    while.  I said I'd kept "every log message".

    Marcus was kind enough to point out (privately) that I'd really only
    kept every one that I hadn't lost, due to the joys of UDP.  Yup, welve
    lost a few over the years, I bet.

    And that gets back to the reason that some kind of interoperable,
    "standard" reliable audit record trasnport is "still" important.

    <soapbox>

    Yes, we need to fix the borken free-not-form so-called excuses for log
    record formats that we've lived with for almost 30 years.  But we also
    needed the infrastructure to ensure that our "new format" records
    would actually get somewhere.

    And we need to ensure that the generate/transport/analyze work process
    chain has "enough" integrity that the records can be admitted as
    evidence.

    And we need some better ways for applications to create those audit
    records, such as the new APIs that have been alluded to by others.

    And all of those things will make the analysis job easier, or guide
    our analysis work process.

    So new we have at least one "standard" for "safe transport".  We need
    to get that deployed.  That *helps* provide the integrity of the
    transport part of the work process chain.

    Next, we figure out *what* should be in a record, and when they should
    be generated.  This was pointed out at least 3-4 weeks ago.  Every
    time we start looking at content, we keep getting bogged down on
    message *format* (syntax), not message content and meaning
    (semantics).  The sematics will be guided by what we need in order to
    do an analysis, AND what we think we need to make the logs acceptable
    as evidence.

    </soapbox>

    Sorry, I get overly verbose when my brain is melted from reading
    student papers.

    My questions:

    1) is RFC 3195 (syslog-reliable) so broken that we shold punt and
       spend another few years trying to write YALS (yet another log
       standard), or do we just go with it and plan to do a version 2
       protocol eventually?

    2) If (1) has solved the transport+integrity problem, then its on to
       the semantic questions:  When and what do we log?  What is an
       "event"?  We started down this road last month?, but got
       sidetracked (again) on sytax (fixed fields vs attribute/value
       pairs, and what about XML, etc.).

    3) Once we get (2), THEN we can start to worry about the syntax.

    Does this make sense, or should I down another shot of Chinaco Anejo
    and grade some more papers?

    --
    Tom E. Perrine <tepat_private> | San Diego Supercomputer Center
    http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     |